Thursday, July 2, 2009

LIST: BMC's 2007 Modern Roots 45s top 50

Another one of my older lists I found back on my harddrive: best 45s of 2007. Top 50 with the info as I wrote it in those days, just for fun. Check it out:


My personal 2007 45s top 50

The year is coming to an end, time to look back a bit. There haven’t been many dancehall / bashy riddims that did it for me in 2007, but I didn’t follow it very closely either (list anyone?). Some artists made important steps there this year though imo, especially Movado and Busy Signal. On the rootsy side of things for me numerous 45s with interesting riddims and tunes have been released, ranging from just nice to killers. Here’s a selection I made of 50 more rootsy tracks that I rate highly and still play regularly; roughly in order, but don’t take that too serious cause tomorrow it may differ again. Just my personal preference, no official thing or so, feel free to disagree and / or dislike.

1. Natty King – Real Herbalist (House Of Riddim)
2. Glen Washington – In The Distance (A-Lone – Dirty Dozen)
3. Ray Darwin – People’s Choice (Tad’s – officially released late december 2006 though)
4. Alborosie & Sizzla – Meditation (Forward)
5. Capleton – Prophet Rides Again (Ink A Link)
6. Pressure – Be Free (Don Corleon)
7. Tami Chynn – Over And Over Again (Fresh Ear – Guardian Angel)
8. Luciano – Every Where I Go (Broken Stick – Let Them Talk)
9. Natty King – Dem A Fight (Pleasure Beat – Majestic)
10. Alpheus – Ultimate (A-Lone – Dirty Dozen)
11. Richie Spice – The World Is A Cycle (Fresh Ear – Guardian Angel)
12. Capleton – No Fold Hand (Shall I – Meditation)
13. Burro Banton – Friday Dress (SWS – Crazy Night)
14. Shaggy – Move Hype (Big Yard – 007)
15. Million Stylez – More Life (Supersonic – Devil’s Angel)
16. Chezidek – Bad Out Deh (Irie Ites – Down In Jamaica)
17. Alborosie – Kingston Town (Forward)
18. Perfect – 30 Pieces (Irievibrations)
19. Taurus Riley – She Is Royal (Cannon)
20. I Wayne – More Herb (Yellow Moon – Dst)
21. Lutan Fyah – Hypocrits (Oneness – Oneness)
22. Da’Ville – Africa Is Calling (Pure Music – Serengeti)
23. Etana – Roots (Freemind)
24. Lutan Fyah – Red-Red (Al.Ta.Fa.An – Senior)
25. Lymie Murray – Fire Will Be Burning (Bay Rock – Bay Rock)
26. Glen Washington – Jah Jah Delivered Me (A-Lone – Family)
27. Taurus Riley – Back Biter (Don Corleon – Far Away)
28. Morgan Heritage – Too Much Blood A Run (Free The Children – Africa)
29. Natural Black – Free Your Mind (Total Satisfaction – Melody Life)
30. Burro Banton – MC Peggy Part 2 (One Love – Maria)
31. Da’Ville – In My Arms (Renaissance – Legal)
32. Jah Cure – Sticky (Danger Zone – Jamdown)
33. Maxie Priest & Richie Stephens – My Girl Dis (Joe Frasier – Full Attention)
34. Turbulence – Youths (Kickin – Rewind)
35. Alborosie & U-Roy – Precious (Forward)
36. Alaine – Sincerely (Don Corleon – Love Potion)
37. Cocoa Tea – Poverty (Minor 7 Flat 5 – Bodo)
38. Lukie D – Step Away (Badda)
39. Richie Spice – A No Me Dat (No Doubt – Eighty Three)
40. Sizzla – Sow More Love (Irie Ites – Rocking Time)
41. Pressure – Love & Affection (Don Corleon)
42. Jah Cure – To Your Arms Of Love (VP – Guardian Angel)
43. Edge Michael – Delilah (House Of Riddim)
44. Lutan Fyah – Can’t Stop The Fire (Bassrunner – Glorious)
45. Luciano – Strive (Mafia & Fluxy)
46. Pinchers – Slaughterer (Penthouse – M16)
47. Morgan Heritage & Busy Signal – Run Dem (Juke Boxx)
48. Frankie Paul – Love Somebody (Stone Love – Rocksteady)
49. Morgan Heritage – Guards Up (Maximum Sound – Black Board)
50. Doniki – Gully Bank (Gully Bank)

I didn’t get the chance yet to get Fat Eyes’ Midnight Hour or Joe Frasier’s Chi Chi Bud riddims released on 45 last week, so those tunes were not taken into account.

All in all even though I bought significantly less 45s this year, 2007 brought enough good reggae again to keep me entertained, just needed a bit more selectivity. For 2008 I hope for more bass and positivity and less autotune!

No comments: